Monday, July 06, 2009

Who has dapples?!


While I am busy working on Bucky's lameness, Haley also continues her training. She has made great progress in the past few weeks, she is now longing - walk, trot, halt both directions very nicely, leading well, yielding to halter pressure, and has become much more attentive.




I still primarily have to longe her on a line because she will jump out of my little "round"(its actually square) pen, when she's had enough. The fence is only about 4 feet tall and it has never occurred to the other horses to leap out, but Haley figured this out in about 5 minutes. She is a terrific jumper.


We are working on desensitization now and she literally yawned as I flapped a saddle blanket all over her body. The flag took all of 5 minutes to get over. So today I saddled her up. This mare has obviously been ridden at some point, she knows to hold her breath when the girth is put on!
So after assuring her I was NOT going to girth her too tighly I showed her what being saddled is all about - relaxing and eating grass of course! She's almost ready for her "first" ride, how exciting!


Look at her dapples! Now if we could just add a tail . . . her papers from AMHA also arrived last week.

No comments: